Sunday, February 14, 2010

Find a protein using PDB explorer - describe your protein, including what disease state or other real-world application it has.


1K8Q - Dog Gastric Lipase






Used for fat digestion in dogs. This is a very stable protein despite the high acidic conditions that occur with in the stomach. This is a quaternary structure with 2 subunits. It is a globular protein.

Reference:
• National Center for Biotechnology Information (Oct. 2009), retrieved 2/14/2010 form: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Structure/mmdb/mmdbsrv.cgi?uid=18937

3 comments:

  1. Are there any other applications? Does perhaps this protein become inhibited in overweight dogs? or could it be rendered less effective somehow? And could overweight dogs have a lesser amount of this protein? This topic is very interesting to me because I have a pug and they are synonomous for being overweight. Just something to ponder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an 8-year old Golden Retriever who gets life-threatening pancreatitis. I wonder if she has a mutation for this protein.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, blonderenzi, I can't answer your question. The only information I could find is what I posted and more information about the gene sequence.

    ReplyDelete